Monday, April 21, 2008

Claustrophobia



I knew I had it but this past week I realized just how bad I did. I was scheduled for a MRI on Thursday and when I got there and they tried to put me inside the tiny tube I freaked.... I mean struggling to breath, uncontrollable crying freaked!


This is where they tried to put me.




Not going to happen!


I remember my first experience with claustrophobia, I was around 6 years old and a neighbor had purchased a new refrigerator. Like any loving parent they had taken the box it came in, threw it in the front yard and yelled, "have fun kids" or something like that.


There were three of us and somehow I climbed in first followed by the other two, the next thing I remember was moving very quickly to remove myself from the box even if it meant tearing off my friends limbs in the process. I am sure one of them still has my sneaker print on the side of his face. I was convinced I couldn't breath and the terror I had felt at that moment has kept me clear of large boxes since.


As I have gotten older I have also developed fear of flying on packed airplanes and covered parking garages! Chris got real upset with me one time when he was trying to park and told me I was being unreasonable! Hello- claustrophobia = irrational fear! Of course it's not reasonable!

I have discovered that a dose of Xanax (or what my kids call Mom's happy pills) seems to curb the edge when I need it and I have heard a stiff drink helps too. It's a good thing I don't drink or I might get the reputation of this guy.


Speaking of Otis... if Mayberry was so perfect why did he need to be drunk all the time? Well that's a subject for another day's blog.

No comments: